"To me SF is another powerful tool for helping children grow up feeling loved, feeling like there's a least one person who's crazy about them." - Nina, UWW
Why United Way Strengthening Families?
United Ways are natural conveners, intimately connected to their communities, and uniquely poised to leverage change via funding-making them ideal implementers of the strengthening families approach. UWSF emphasizes respect for families, collaboration, and solution-focused community building values through:
- Community impact. Improves community impact including collaboration, positive parenting, and children capable of reaching their full potential.
- Community Mobilization. Asserts that families are best suited to identify and bring solutions to their own needs and improve their community's conditions. UWSF provides tools and support toward helping families identify their needs and mobilize solutions.
- Shared Responsibility. Unites local United Ways, community partners, and families in sharing the responsibility of creating stronger families and stronger communities.
- Research-based Concepts. Builds on strong research about what all families need to thrive.
- Respect for Families. Acknowledges families as critical to children's success through a strengths-based and prevention-focused approach emphasizing reciprocity.
- Incorporation into Existing Work. Seamlessly applies to all areas of existing work-education, income, and health.